Dictionary Results for swallow|
1. swallow - noun
· a small amount of liquid food; "a sup of ale"
Hypernym(s): taste, mouthful
2. swallow - noun
· the act of swallowing; "one swallow of the liquid was enough"; "he took a drink of his beer and smacked his lips"
Synonym(s): drink, deglutition
Hypernym(s): consumption, ingestion, intake, uptake
3. swallow - noun
· small long-winged songbird noted for swift graceful flight and the regularity of its migrations
Hypernym(s): oscine, oscine_bird
4. swallow - verb
· pass through the esophagus as part of eating or drinking; "Swallow the raw fish--it won't kill you!"
5. swallow - verb
· engulf and destroy; "The Nazis swallowed the Baltic countries"
Hypernym(s): demolish, destroy
6. swallow - verb
· enclose or envelop completely, as if by swallowing; "The huge waves swallowed the small boat and it sank shortly thereafter"
Synonym(s): immerse, swallow_up, bury, eat_up
Hypernym(s): enclose, close_in, inclose, shut_in
7. swallow - verb
· utter indistinctly; "She swallowed the last words of her speech"
Hypernym(s): talk, speak, utter, mouth, verbalize, verbalise
8. swallow - verb
· take back what one has said; "He swallowed his words"
Synonym(s): take_back, unsay, withdraw
Hypernym(s): disown, renounce, repudiate
9. swallow - verb
· keep from expressing; "I swallowed my anger and kept quiet"
Hypernym(s): restrain, keep, keep_back, hold_back
10. swallow - verb
· tolerate or accommodate oneself to; "I shall have to accept these unpleasant working conditions"; "I swallowed the insult"; "She has learned to live with her husband's little idiosyncrasies"
Synonym(s): accept, live_with
Hypernym(s): digest, endure, stick_out, stomach, bear, stand, tolerate, support, brook, abide, suffer, put_up
11. swallow - verb
· believe or accept without questioning or challenge; "Am I supposed to swallow that story?"
or unscramble the word you need to complete that puzzle or to finish that
project or homework!
letters to unscramble the word
synonyms, antonyms and related words
word below with '?' to indicate missing letters
word to find the rhymes
letters of the beginning, middle or end of the word.