Dictionary Results for contract|
1. contract - noun
· a binding agreement between two or more persons that is enforceable by law
2. contract - noun
· (contract bridge) the highest bid becomes the contract setting the number of tricks that the bidder must make
Hypernym(s): bid, bidding
3. contract - noun
· a variety of bridge in which the bidder receives points toward game only for the number of tricks he bid
4. contract - verb
· enter into a contractual arrangement
Hypernym(s): promise, assure
5. contract - verb
· engage by written agreement; "They signed two new pitchers for the next season"
Synonym(s): sign, sign_on, sign_up
Hypernym(s): hire, engage, employ
6. contract - verb
· squeeze or press together; "she compressed her lips"; "the spasm contracted the muscle"
Synonym(s): compress, constrict, squeeze, compact, press
7. contract - verb
· be stricken by an illness, fall victim to an illness; "He got AIDS"; "She came down with pneumonia"; "She took a chill"
Synonym(s): take, get
Hypernym(s): sicken, come_down
8. contract - verb
· become smaller or draw together; "The fabric shrank"; "The balloon shrank"
Hypernym(s): decrease, diminish, lessen, fall
9. contract - verb
· make smaller; "The heat contracted the woollen garment"
Hypernym(s): shrink, reduce
10. contract - verb
· compress or concentrate; "Congress condensed the three-year plan into a six-month plan"
Synonym(s): condense, concentrate
Hypernym(s): change, alter, modify
11. contract - verb
· make or become more narrow or restricted; "The selection was narrowed"; "The road narrowed"
12. contract - verb
· reduce in scope while retaining essential elements; "The manuscript must be shortened"
Synonym(s): abridge, foreshorten, abbreviate, shorten, cut, reduce
Hypernym(s): decrease, lessen, minify
or unscramble the word you need to complete that puzzle or to finish that
project or homework!
letters to unscramble the word
synonyms, antonyms and related words
word below with '?' to indicate missing letters
word to find the rhymes
letters of the beginning, middle or end of the word.