1. substitute - noun
· a person or thing that takes or can take the place of another
2. substitute - noun
· an athlete who plays only when a starter on the team is replaced
3. substitute - noun
· someone who takes the place of another (as when things get dangerous or difficult); "the star had a stand-in for dangerous scenes"; "we need extra employees for summer fill-ins"
4. substitute - verb
· put in the place of another; switch seemingly equivalent items; "the con artist replaced the original with a fake Rembrandt"; "substitute regular milk for fat-free milk"; "synonyms can be interchanged without a changing the context's meaning"
5. substitute - verb
· be a substitute; "The young teacher had to substitute for the sick colleague"; "The skim milk substitutes for cream--we are on a strict diet"
6. substitute - verb
· act as a substitute; "She stood in for the soprano who suffered from a cold"
7. substitute - adjective
· capable of substituting in any of several positions on a team; "a utility infielder"
8. substitute - adjective
· serving or used in place of another; "an alternative plan"
9. substitute - adjective
· artificial and inferior; "ersatz coffee"; "substitute coffee"
The only site you need for word puzzles, home work, anagrams and scrabble games. The best site for two word anagram solutions.
Enter the letters to get anagrams for the word
Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and related words
Enter the word below with '?' to indicate missing letters
Enter the word to find the rhymes
Enter the letters of the beginning, middle or end of the word.