Dictionary Results for apply|
1. apply - verb
· put into service; make work or employ for a particular purpose or for its inherent or natural purpose; "use your head!"; "we only use Spanish at home"; "I can't use this tool"; "Apply a magnetic field here"; "This thinking was applied to many projects"; "How do you utilize this tool?"; "I apply this rule to get good results"; "use the plastic bags to store the food"; "He doesn't know how to use a computer"
Synonym(s): use, utilize, utilise, employ
2. apply - verb
· be pertinent or relevant or applicable; "The same laws apply to you!"; "This theory holds for all irrational numbers"; "The same rules go for everyone"
Synonym(s): hold, go_for
Hypernym(s): refer, pertain, relate, concern, come_to, bear_on, touch, touch_on, have_to_do_with
3. apply - verb
· ask (for something); "He applied for a leave of absence"; "She applied for college"; "apply for a job"
Hypernym(s): request, ask_for, bespeak, call_for, quest
4. apply - verb
· apply to a surface; "She applied paint to the back of the house"; "Put on make-up!"
5. apply - verb
· be applicable to; as to an analysis; "This theory lends itself well to our new data"
6. apply - verb
· give or convey physically; "She gave him First Aid"; "I gave him a punch in the nose"
Hypernym(s): distribute, administer, mete_out, deal, parcel_out, lot, dispense, shell_out, deal_out, dish_out, allot, dole_out
7. apply - verb
· avail oneself to; "apply a principle"; "practice a religion"; "use care when going down the stairs"; "use your common sense"; "practice non-violent resistance"
Synonym(s): practice, use
8. apply - verb
· ensure observance of laws and rules; "Apply the rules to everyone"
Synonym(s): enforce, implement
Hypernym(s): compel, oblige, obligate
9. apply - verb
· refer (a word or name) to a person or thing; "He applied this racial slur to me!"
Hypernym(s): denote, refer
10. apply - verb
· apply oneself to; "Please apply yourself to your homework"
Hypernym(s): give, dedicate, consecrate, commit, devote
or unscramble the word you need to complete that puzzle or to finish that
project or homework!
letters to unscramble the word
synonyms, antonyms and related words
word below with '?' to indicate missing letters
word to find the rhymes
letters of the beginning, middle or end of the word.