Dictionary Results for stem|
1. stem - noun
· (linguistics) the form of a word after all affixes are removed; "thematic vowels are part of the stem"
Synonym(s): root, root_word, base, theme, radical
Hypernym(s): form, word_form, signifier, descriptor
2. stem - noun
· a slender or elongated structure that supports a plant or fungus or a plant part or plant organ
3. stem - noun
· cylinder forming a long narrow part of something
4. stem - noun
· the tube of a tobacco pipe
Hypernym(s): tube, tubing
5. stem - noun
· front part of a vessel or aircraft; "he pointed the bow of the boat toward the finish line"
Synonym(s): bow, fore, prow
6. stem - noun
· a turn made in skiing; the back of one ski is forced outward and the other ski is brought parallel to it
Hypernym(s): turn, turning
7. stem - verb
· grow out of, have roots in, originate in; "The increase in the national debt stems from the last war"
8. stem - verb
· cause to point inward; "stem your skis"
9. stem - verb
· stop the flow of a liquid; "staunch the blood flow"; "stem the tide"
Synonym(s): stanch, staunch, halt
10. stem - verb
· remove the stem from; "for automatic natural language processing, the words must be stemmed"
Hypernym(s): remove, take, take_away, withdraw
or unscramble the word you need to complete that puzzle or to finish that
project or homework!
letters to unscramble the word
synonyms, antonyms and related words
word below with '?' to indicate missing letters
word to find the rhymes
letters of the beginning, middle or end of the word.