Dictionary Results for encounter|
1. encounter - noun
· a minor short-term fight
Synonym(s): brush, clash, skirmish
Hypernym(s): fight, fighting, combat, scrap
2. encounter - noun
· a casual or unexpected convergence; "he still remembers their meeting in Paris"; "there was a brief encounter in the hallway"
3. encounter - noun
· a casual meeting with a person or thing
Hypernym(s): joining, connection, connexion
4. encounter - noun
· a hostile disagreement face-to-face
Synonym(s): confrontation, showdown, face-off
5. encounter - verb
· come together; "I'll probably see you at the meeting"; "How nice to see you again!"
Synonym(s): meet, run_into, run_across, come_across, see
6. encounter - verb
· come upon, as if by accident; meet with; "We find this idea in Plato"; "I happened upon the most wonderful bakery not very far from here"; "She chanced upon an interesting book in the bookstore the other day"
Synonym(s): find, happen, chance, bump
7. encounter - verb
· be beset by; "The project ran into numerous financial difficulties"
8. encounter - verb
· experience as a reaction; "My proposal met with much opposition"
Synonym(s): meet, receive
Hypernym(s): have, experience
9. encounter - verb
· contend against an opponent in a sport, game, or battle; "Princeton plays Yale this weekend"; "Charlie likes to play Mary"
Synonym(s): meet, play, take_on
or unscramble the word you need to complete that puzzle or to finish that
project or homework!
letters to unscramble the word
synonyms, antonyms and related words
word below with '?' to indicate missing letters
word to find the rhymes
letters of the beginning, middle or end of the word.