Dictionary Results for name|
1. name - noun
· a language unit by which a person or thing is known; "his name really is George Washington"; "those are two names for the same thing"
Hypernym(s): language_unit, linguistic_unit
2. name - noun
· a person's reputation; "he wanted to protect his good name"
Hypernym(s): repute, reputation
3. name - noun
· family based on male descent; "he had no sons and there was no one to carry on his name"
Hypernym(s): family, family_line, folk, kinfolk, kinsfolk, sept, phratry
4. name - noun
· a well-known or notable person; "they studied all the great names in the history of France"; "she is an important figure in modern music"
Synonym(s): figure, public_figure
Hypernym(s): important_person, influential_person, personage
5. name - noun
· by the sanction or authority of; "halt in the name of the law"
6. name - noun
· a defamatory or abusive word or phrase
Hypernym(s): defamation, calumny, calumniation, obloquy, traducement, hatchet_job
7. name - verb
· assign a specified (usually proper) proper name to; "They named their son David"; "The new school was named after the famous Civil Rights leader"
Synonym(s): call, know_as, be_known_as
8. name - verb
· give the name or identifying characteristics of; refer to by name or some other identifying characteristic property; "Many senators were named in connection with the scandal"; "The almanac identifies the auspicious months"
Hypernym(s): denote, refer
9. name - verb
· charge with a function; charge to be; "She was named Head of the Committee"; "She was made president of the club"
Synonym(s): nominate, make
Hypernym(s): appoint, charge
10. name - verb
· create and charge with a task or function; "nominate a committee"
Synonym(s): appoint, nominate, constitute
Hypernym(s): establish, found, plant, constitute, institute
11. name - verb
· mention and identify by name; "name your accomplices!"
Hypernym(s): specify, set, determine, define, fix, limit
12. name - verb
· make reference to; "His name was mentioned in connection with the invention"
Synonym(s): mention, advert, bring_up, cite, refer
Hypernym(s): think_of, have_in_mind, mean
13. name - verb
· identify as in botany or biology, for example
Synonym(s): identify, discover, key, key_out, distinguish, describe
14. name - verb
· give or make a list of; name individually; give the names of; "List the states west of the Mississippi"
Hypernym(s): enumerate, recite, itemize, itemise
15. name - verb
· determine or distinguish the nature of a problem or an illness through a diagnostic analysis
Hypernym(s): analyze, analyse, study, examine, canvass
or unscramble the word you need to complete that puzzle or to finish that
project or homework!
letters to unscramble the word
synonyms, antonyms and related words
word below with '?' to indicate missing letters
word to find the rhymes
letters of the beginning, middle or end of the word.