Dictionary Results for bar|
1. bar - noun
· a room or establishment where alcoholic drinks are served over a counter; "he drowned his sorrows in whiskey at the bar"
Synonym(s): barroom, saloon, ginmill, taproom
2. bar - noun
· a counter where you can obtain food or drink; "he bought a hot dog and a coke at the bar"
3. bar - noun
· a rigid piece of metal or wood; usually used as a fastening or obstruction or weapon; "there were bars in the windows to prevent escape"
4. bar - noun
· musical notation for a repeating pattern of musical beats; "the orchestra omitted the last twelve bars of the song"
5. bar - noun
· an obstruction (usually metal) placed at the top of a goal; "it was an excellent kick but the ball hit the bar"
Hypernym(s): obstruction, obstructor, obstructer, impediment, impedimenta
6. bar - noun
· the act of preventing; "there was no bar against leaving"; "money was allocated to study the cause and prevention of influenza"
Hypernym(s): hindrance, hinderance, interference
7. bar - noun
· (meteorology) a unit of pressure equal to a million dynes per square centimeter; "unfortunately some writers have used bar for one dyne per square centimeter"
8. bar - noun
· a submerged (or partly submerged) ridge in a river or along a shore; "the boat ran aground on a submerged bar in the river"
Hypernym(s): ridge, barrier
9. bar - noun
· the body of individuals qualified to practice law in a particular jurisdiction; "he was admitted to the bar in New Jersey"
Synonym(s): legal_profession, legal_community
10. bar - noun
· a narrow marking of a different color or texture from the background; "a green toad with small black stripes or bars"; "may the Stars and Stripes forever wave"
Synonym(s): stripe, streak
11. bar - noun
· a block of solid substance (such as soap or wax); "a bar of chocolate"
12. bar - noun
· a portable .30 caliber automatic rifle operated by gas pressure and fed by cartridges from a magazine; used by United States troops in World War I and in World War II and in the Korean War
Synonym(s): Browning_automatic_rifle, BAR
Hypernym(s): automatic_rifle, automatic, machine_rifle
13. bar - noun
· a horizontal rod that serves as a support for gymnasts as they perform exercises
14. bar - noun
· a heating element in an electric fire; "an electric fire with three bars"
15. bar - noun
· (law) a railing that encloses the part of the courtroom where the judges and lawyers sit and the case is tried; "spectators were not allowed past the bar"
Hypernym(s): railing, rail
16. bar - verb
· prevent from entering; keep out; "He was barred from membership in the club"
Synonym(s): debar, exclude
Hypernym(s): forbid, prohibit, interdict, proscribe, veto, disallow, nix
17. bar - verb
· render unsuitable for passage; "block the way"; "barricade the streets"; "stop the busy road"
Synonym(s): barricade, block, blockade, stop, block_off, block_up
Hypernym(s): obstruct, obturate, impede, occlude, jam, block, close_up
18. bar - verb
· expel, as if by official decree; "he was banished from his own country"
Synonym(s): banish, relegate
Hypernym(s): expel, throw_out, kick_out
19. bar - verb
· secure with, or as if with, bars; "He barred the door"
Hypernym(s): fasten, fix, secure
or unscramble the word you need to complete that puzzle or to finish that
project or homework!
letters to unscramble the word
synonyms, antonyms and related words
word below with '?' to indicate missing letters
word to find the rhymes
letters of the beginning, middle or end of the word.