Dictionary Results for mate|
1. mate - noun
· the officer below the master on a commercial ship
Hypernym(s): officer, ship%27s_officer
2. mate - noun
· a fellow member of a team; "it was his first start against his former teammates"
3. mate - noun
· the partner of an animal (especially a sexual partner); "he loved the mare and all her mates"; "camels hate leaving their mates"
Hypernym(s): animal, animate_being, beast, brute, creature, fauna
4. mate - noun
· a person's partner in marriage
Synonym(s): spouse, partner, married_person, better_half
Hypernym(s): relative, relation, domestic_partner, significant_other, spousal_equivalent, spouse_equivalent
5. mate - noun
· an exact duplicate; "when a match is found an entry is made in the notebook"
Hypernym(s): duplicate, duplication
6. mate - noun
· one of a pair; "he lost the mate to his shoe"; "one eye was blue but its fellow was brown"
7. mate - noun
· South American holly; leaves used in making a drink like tea
Synonym(s): Paraguay_tea, Ilex_paraguariensis
8. mate - noun
· informal term for a friend of the same sex
9. mate - noun
· South American tea-like drink made from leaves of a South American holly called mate
Hypernym(s): beverage, drink, drinkable, potable
10. mate - noun
· a chess move constituting an inescapable and indefensible attack on the opponent's king
11. mate - verb
· engage in sexual intercourse; "Birds mate in the Spring"
Synonym(s): copulate, pair, couple
Hypernym(s): join, conjoin
12. mate - verb
· bring two objects, ideas, or people together; "This fact is coupled to the other one"; "Matchmaker, can you match my daughter with a nice young man?"; "The student was paired with a partner for collaboration on the project"
Synonym(s): match, couple, pair, twin
13. mate - verb
· place an opponent's king under an attack from which it cannot escape and thus ending the game; "Kasparov checkmated his opponent after only a few moves"
Hypernym(s): beat, beat_out, crush, shell, trounce, vanquish
or unscramble the word you need to complete that puzzle or to finish that
project or homework!
letters to unscramble the word
synonyms, antonyms and related words
word below with '?' to indicate missing letters
word to find the rhymes
letters of the beginning, middle or end of the word.