Dictionary Results for relief|
1. relief - noun
· the feeling that comes when something burdensome is removed or reduced; "as he heard the news he was suddenly flooded with relief"
Synonym(s): alleviation, assuagement
2. relief - noun
· the condition of being comfortable or relieved (especially after being relieved of distress); "he enjoyed his relief from responsibility"; "getting it off his conscience gave him some ease"
Hypernym(s): comfort, comfortableness
3. relief - noun
· (law) redress awarded by a court; "was the relief supposed to be protection from future harm or compensation for past injury?"
Hypernym(s): damages, amends, indemnity, indemnification, restitution, redress
4. relief - noun
· someone who takes the place of another (as when things get dangerous or difficult); "the star had a stand-in for dangerous scenes"; "we need extra employees for summer fill-ins"
Synonym(s): stand-in, substitute, reliever, backup, backup_man, fill-in
Hypernym(s): peer, equal, match, compeer
5. relief - noun
· assistance in time of difficulty; "the contributions provided some relief for the victims"
Synonym(s): succor, succour, ministration
Hypernym(s): aid, assist, assistance, help
6. relief - noun
· a pause for relaxation; "people actually accomplish more when they take time for short rests"
Synonym(s): respite, rest, rest_period
Hypernym(s): pause, intermission, break, interruption, suspension
7. relief - noun
· a change for the better
Synonym(s): easing, moderation
Hypernym(s): change, alteration, modification
8. relief - noun
· aid for the aged or indigent or handicapped; "he has been on relief for many years"
Hypernym(s): social_welfare, welfare, public_assistance
9. relief - noun
· the act of reducing something unpleasant (as pain or annoyance); "he asked the nurse for relief from the constant pain"
Synonym(s): easing, easement, alleviation
Hypernym(s): decrease, diminution, reduction, step-down
10. relief - noun
· sculpture consisting of shapes carved on a surface so as to stand out from the surrounding background
Synonym(s): relievo, rilievo, embossment, sculptural_relief
11. relief - noun
· the act of freeing a city or town that has been besieged; "he asked for troops for the relief of Atlanta"
Hypernym(s): liberation, release, freeing
or unscramble the word you need to complete that puzzle or to finish that
project or homework!
letters to unscramble the word
synonyms, antonyms and related words
word below with '?' to indicate missing letters
word to find the rhymes
letters of the beginning, middle or end of the word.