Dictionary Results for function|
1. function - noun
· (mathematics) a mathematical relation such that each element of a given set (the domain of the function) is associated with an element of another set (the range of the function)
Synonym(s): mathematical_function, single-valued_function, map, mapping
2. function - noun
· what something is used for; "the function of an auger is to bore holes"; "ballet is beautiful but what use is it?"
Synonym(s): purpose, role, use
Hypernym(s): utility, usefulness
3. function - noun
· the actions and activities assigned to or required or expected of a person or group; "the function of a teacher"; "the government must do its part"; "play its role"
Synonym(s): office, part, role
4. function - noun
· a relation such that one thing is dependent on another; "height is a function of age"; "price is a function of supply and demand"
5. function - noun
· a formal or official social gathering or ceremony; "it was a black-tie function"
Hypernym(s): social_gathering, social_affair
6. function - noun
· a vaguely specified social event; "the party was quite an affair"; "an occasion arranged to honor the president"; "a seemingly endless round of social functions"
Synonym(s): affair, occasion, social_occasion, social_function
7. function - noun
· a set sequence of steps, part of larger computer program
Synonym(s): routine, subroutine, subprogram, procedure
Hypernym(s): software, software_program, computer_software, software_system, software_package, package
8. function - verb
· perform as expected when applied; "The washing machine won't go unless it's plugged in"; "Does this old car still run well?"; "This old radio doesn't work anymore"
Synonym(s): work, operate, go, run
9. function - verb
· serve a purpose, role, or function; "The tree stump serves as a table"; "The female students served as a control group"; "This table would serve very well"; "His freedom served him well"; "The table functions as a desk"
Hypernym(s): suffice, do, answer, serve
10. function - verb
· perform duties attached to a particular office or place or function; "His wife officiated as his private secretary"
or unscramble the word you need to complete that puzzle or to finish that
project or homework!
letters to unscramble the word
synonyms, antonyms and related words
word below with '?' to indicate missing letters
word to find the rhymes
letters of the beginning, middle or end of the word.