1. stay - noun
· continuing or remaining in a place or state; "they had a nice stay in Paris"; "a lengthy hospital stay"; "a four-month stay in bankruptcy court"
2. stay - noun
· the state of inactivity following an interruption; "the negotiations were in arrest"; "held them in check"; "during the halt he got some lunch"; "the momentary stay enabled him to escape the blow"; "he spent the entire stop in his seat"
3. stay - noun
· a judicial order forbidding some action until an event occurs or the order is lifted; "the Supreme Court has the power to stay an injunction pending an appeal to the whole Court"
4. stay - noun
· a thin strip of metal or bone that is used to stiffen a garment (e.g. a corset)
5. stay - noun
· (nautical) brace consisting of a heavy rope or wire cable used as a support for a mast or spar
6. stay - verb
· stay the same; remain in a certain state; "The dress remained wet after repeated attempts to dry it"; "rest assured"; "stay alone"; "He remained unmoved by her tears"; "The bad weather continued for another week"
7. stay - verb
· stay put (in a certain place); "We are staying in Detroit; we are not moving to Cincinnati"; "Stay put in the corner here!"; "Stick around and you will learn something!"
8. stay - verb
· dwell; "You can stay with me while you are in town"; "stay a bit longer--the day is still young"
9. stay - verb
· continue in a place, position, or situation; "After graduation, she stayed on in Cambridge as a student adviser"; "Stay with me, please"; "despite student protests, he remained Dean for another year"; "She continued as deputy mayor for another year"
10. stay - verb
· remain behind; "I had to stay at home and watch the children"
11. stay - verb
· stop or halt; "Please stay the bloodshed!"
12. stay - verb
· stay behind; "The smell stayed in the room"; "The hostility remained long after they made up"
13. stay - verb
· hang on during a trial of endurance; "ride out the storm"
14. stay - verb
· stop a judicial process; "The judge stayed the execution order"
15. stay - verb
· fasten with stays
16. stay - verb
· overcome or allay; "quell my hunger"
Enter the letters to get anagrams for the word
Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and related words
Enter the word below with '?' to indicate missing letters
Enter the word to find the rhymes
Enter the letters of the beginning, middle or end of the word.