1. read - noun
· something that is read; "the article was a very good read"
2. read - verb
· interpret something that is written or printed; "read the advertisement"; "Have you read Salman Rushdie?"
3. read - verb
· have or contain a certain wording or form; "The passage reads as follows"; "What does the law say?"
4. read - verb
· look at, interpret, and say out loud something that is written or printed; "The King will read the proclamation at noon"
5. read - verb
· obtain data from magnetic tapes or other digital sources; "This dictionary can be read by the computer"
6. read - verb
· interpret the significance of, as of palms, tea leaves, intestines, the sky; also of human behavior; "She read the sky and predicted rain"; "I can't read his strange behavior"; "The fortune teller read his fate in the crystal ball"
7. read - verb
· interpret something in a certain way; convey a particular meaning or impression; "I read this address as a satire"; "How should I take this message?"
8. read - verb
· be a student of a certain subject; "She is reading for the bar exam"
9. read - verb
· indicate a certain reading; of gauges and instruments; "The thermometer showed thirteen degrees below zero"; "The gauge read `empty'"
10. read - verb
· audition for a stage role by reading parts of a role; "He is auditioning for `Julius Caesar' at Stratford this year"
11. read - verb
· to hear and understand; "I read you loud and clear!"
12. read - verb
· make sense of a language; "She understands French"; "Can you read Greek?"
Enter the letters to get anagrams for the word
Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and related words
Enter the word below with '?' to indicate missing letters
Enter the word to find the rhymes
Enter the letters of the beginning, middle or end of the word.