1. deadening - noun
· the act of making something futile and useless (as by routine)
2. deaden - verb
· make vague or obscure or make (an image) less visible; "muffle the message"
3. deaden - verb
· cut a girdle around so as to kill by interrupting the circulation of water and nutrients; "girdle the plant"
4. deaden - verb
· make vapid or deprive of spirit; "deadened wine"
5. deaden - verb
· lessen the momentum or velocity of; "deaden a ship's headway"
6. deaden - verb
· become lifeless, less lively, intense, or active; lose life, force, or vigor
7. deaden - verb
· make less lively, intense, or vigorous; impair in vigor, force, activity, or sensation; "Terror blunted her feelings"; "deaden a sound"
8. deaden - verb
· convert (metallic mercury) into a grey powder consisting of minute globules, as by shaking with chalk or fatty oil
9. deadening - adjective
· so lacking in interest as to cause mental weariness; "a boring evening with uninteresting people"; "the deadening effect of some routine tasks"; "a dull play"; "his competent but dull performance"; "a ho-hum speaker who couldn't capture their attention"; "what an irksome task the writing of long letters is"- Edmund Burke; "tedious days on the train"; "the tiresome chirping of a cricket"- Mark Twain; "other people's dreams are dreadfully wearisome"
Enter the letters to get anagrams for the word
Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and related words
Enter the word below with '?' to indicate missing letters
Enter the word to find the rhymes
Enter the letters of the beginning, middle or end of the word.