Dictionary Results for understanding|
1. understanding - noun
· the cognitive condition of someone who understands; "he has virtually no understanding of social cause and effect"
Synonym(s): apprehension, discernment, savvy
2. understanding - noun
· the statement (oral or written) of an exchange of promises; "they had an agreement that they would not interfere in each other's business"; "there was an understanding between management and the workers"
3. understanding - noun
· an inclination to support or be loyal to or to agree with an opinion; "his sympathies were always with the underdog"; "I knew I could count on his understanding"
Hypernym(s): inclination, disposition, tendency
4. understanding - noun
· the capacity for rational thought or inference or discrimination; "we are told that man is endowed with reason and capable of distinguishing good from evil"
Synonym(s): reason, intellect
Hypernym(s): faculty, mental_faculty, module
5. understand - verb
· know and comprehend the nature or meaning of; "She did not understand her husband"; "I understand what she means"
6. understand - verb
· perceive (an idea or situation) mentally; "Now I see!"; "I just can't see your point"; "Does she realize how important this decision is?"; "I don't understand the idea"
Synonym(s): realize, realise, see
7. understand - verb
· make sense of a language; "She understands French"; "Can you read Greek?"
Synonym(s): read, interpret, translate
8. understand - verb
· believe to be the case; "I understand you have no previous experience?"
9. understand - verb
· be understanding of; "You don't need to explain--I understand!"
Synonym(s): sympathize, sympathise, empathize, empathise
10. understanding - adjective
· characterized by understanding based on comprehension and discernment and empathy; "an understanding friend"
or unscramble the word you need to complete that puzzle or to finish that
project or homework!
letters to unscramble the word
synonyms, antonyms and related words
word below with '?' to indicate missing letters
word to find the rhymes
letters of the beginning, middle or end of the word.