Dictionary Results for stopes|
1. stopes - noun
· birth-control campaigner who in 1921 opened the first birth control clinic in London (1880-1958)
Synonym(s): Stopes, Marie_Stopes, Marie_Charlotte_Carmichael_Stopes
2. stop - verb
· come to a halt, stop moving; "the car stopped"; "She stopped in front of a store window"
3. stop - verb
· put an end to a state or an activity; "Quit teasing your little brother"
Synonym(s): discontinue, cease, give_up, quit, lay_off
4. stop - verb
· stop from happening or developing; "Block his election"; "Halt the process"
Synonym(s): halt, block, kibosh
Hypernym(s): prevent, forestall, foreclose, preclude, forbid
5. stop - verb
· interrupt a trip; "we stopped at Aunt Mary's house"; "they stopped for three days in Florence"
Hypernym(s): interrupt, disrupt, break_up, cut_off
6. stop - verb
· cause to stop; "stop a car"; "stop the thief"
7. stop - verb
· prevent completion; "stop the project"; "break off the negotiations"
Synonym(s): break, break_off, discontinue
Hypernym(s): end, terminate
8. stop - verb
· hold back, as of a danger or an enemy; check the expansion or influence of; "Arrest the downward trend"; "Check the growth of communism in South East Asia"; "Contain the rebel movement"; "Turn back the tide of communism"
Synonym(s): check, turn_back, arrest, contain, hold_back
9. stop - verb
· seize on its way; "The fighter plane was ordered to intercept an aircraft that had entered the country's airspace"
Hypernym(s): catch, grab, take_hold_of
10. stop - verb
· have an end, in a temporal, spatial, or quantitative sense; either spatial or metaphorical; "the bronchioles terminate in a capillary bed"; "Your rights stop where you infringe upon the rights of other"; "My property ends by the bushes"; "The symphony ends in a pianissimo"
Synonym(s): end, finish, terminate, cease
11. stop - verb
· render unsuitable for passage; "block the way"; "barricade the streets"; "stop the busy road"
Synonym(s): barricade, block, blockade, block_off, block_up, bar
Hypernym(s): obstruct, obturate, impede, occlude, jam, block, close_up
12. stop - verb
· stop and wait, as if awaiting further instructions or developments; "Hold on a moment!"
Hypernym(s): interrupt, break
or unscramble the word you need to complete that puzzle or to finish that
project or homework!
letters to unscramble the word
synonyms, antonyms and related words
word below with '?' to indicate missing letters
word to find the rhymes
letters of the beginning, middle or end of the word.