1. smother - verb
· envelop completely; "smother the meat in gravy"
2. smother - verb
· deprive of oxygen and prevent from breathing; "Othello smothered Desdemona with a pillow"; "The child suffocated herself with a plastic bag that the parents had left on the floor"
3. smother - verb
· suppress in order to conceal or hide; "smother a yawn"; "muffle one's anger"; "strangle a laugh"; "repress a cry of fear"
4. smother - verb
· form an impenetrable cover over; "the butter cream smothered the cake"
5. smother - verb
· deprive of the oxygen necessary for combustion; "smother fires"
6. smothered - adjective
· held in check with difficulty; "a smothered cough"; "a stifled yawn"; "a strangled scream"; "suppressed laughter"
7. smothered - adjective
· completely covered; "bonnets smothered with flowers"; "smothered chicken is chicken cooked in a seasoned gravy"
Enter the letters to get anagrams for the word
Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and related words
Enter the word below with '?' to indicate missing letters
Enter the word to find the rhymes
Enter the letters of the beginning, middle or end of the word.