Dictionary Results for represent|
1. represent - verb
· take the place of or be parallel or equivalent to; "Because of the sound changes in the course of history, an `h' in Greek stands for an `s' in Latin"
Synonym(s): stand_for, correspond
Hypernym(s): equal, be
2. represent - verb
· express indirectly by an image, form, or model; be a symbol; "What does the Statue of Liberty symbolize?"
Synonym(s): typify, symbolize, symbolise, stand_for
Hypernym(s): mean, intend
3. represent - verb
· be representative or typical for; "This period is represented by Beethoven"
4. represent - verb
· be a delegate or spokesperson for; represent somebody's interest or be a proxy or substitute for, as of politicians and office holders representing their constituents, or of a tenant representing other tenants in a housing dispute; "I represent the silent majority"
5. represent - verb
· serve as a means of expressing something; "The flower represents a young girl"
Hypernym(s): express, verbalize, verbalise, utter, give_tongue_to
6. represent - verb
· be characteristic of; "This compositional style is exemplified by this fugue"
Hypernym(s): embody, be, personify
7. represent - verb
· form or compose; "This money is my only income"; "The stone wall was the backdrop for the performance"; "These constitute my entire belonging"; "The children made up the chorus"; "This sum represents my entire income for a year"; "These few men comprise his entire army"
Synonym(s): constitute, make_up, comprise, be
8. represent - verb
· be the defense counsel for someone in a trial; "Ms. Smith will represent the defendant"
9. represent - verb
· create an image or likeness of; "The painter represented his wife as a young girl"
10. represent - verb
· play a role or part; "Gielgud played Hamlet"; "She wants to act Lady Macbeth, but she is too young for the role"; "She played the servant to her husband's master"
Synonym(s): act, play
11. represent - verb
· perform (a play), especially on a stage; "we are going to stage `Othello'"
Synonym(s): stage, present
12. represent - verb
· describe or present, usually with respect to a particular quality; "He represented this book as an example of the Russian 19th century novel"
Hypernym(s): describe, depict, draw
13. represent - verb
· point out or draw attention to in protest or remonstrance; "our parents represented to us the need for more caution"
Hypernym(s): remonstrate, point_out
14. represent - verb
· bring forward and present to the mind; "We presented the arguments to him"; "We cannot represent this knowledge to our formal reason"
Synonym(s): present, lay_out
Hypernym(s): state, say, tell
15. represent - verb
· to establish a mapping (of mathematical elements or sets)
Hypernym(s): permute, commute, transpose
or unscramble the word you need to complete that puzzle or to finish that
project or homework!
letters to unscramble the word
synonyms, antonyms and related words
word below with '?' to indicate missing letters
word to find the rhymes
letters of the beginning, middle or end of the word.