Dictionary Results for gauges|
1. gauge - noun
· a measuring instrument for measuring and indicating a quantity such as the thickness of wire or the amount of rain etc.
Hypernym(s): measuring_instrument, measuring_system, measuring_device
2. gauge - noun
· accepted or approved instance or example of a quantity or quality against which others are judged or measured or compared
Hypernym(s): standard, criterion, measure, touchstone
3. gauge - noun
· the distance between the rails of a railway or between the wheels of a train
Hypernym(s): distance, length
4. gauge - noun
· the thickness of wire
5. gauge - noun
· diameter of a tube or gun barrel
Synonym(s): bore, caliber, calibre
Hypernym(s): diameter, diam
6. gauge - verb
· judge tentatively or form an estimate of (quantities or time); "I estimate this chicken to weigh three pounds"
Synonym(s): estimate, approximate, guess, judge
Hypernym(s): calculate, cipher, cypher, compute, work_out, reckon, figure
7. gauge - verb
· rub to a uniform size; "gauge bricks"
8. gauge - verb
· determine the capacity, volume, or contents of by measurement and calculation; "gauge the wine barrels"
Hypernym(s): determine, find, find_out, ascertain
9. gauge - verb
· measure precisely and against a standard; "the wire is gauged"
Hypernym(s): quantify, measure
10. gauge - verb
· adapt to a specified measurement; "gauge the instruments"
Hypernym(s): standardize, standardise
11. gauge - verb
· mix in specific proportions; "gauge plaster"
Hypernym(s): blend, flux, mix, conflate, commingle, immix, fuse, coalesce, meld, combine, merge
or unscramble the word you need to complete that puzzle or to finish that
project or homework!
letters to unscramble the word
synonyms, antonyms and related words
word below with '?' to indicate missing letters
word to find the rhymes
letters of the beginning, middle or end of the word.