Dictionary Results for fire|
1. fire - noun
· the event of something burning (often destructive); "they lost everything in the fire"
Hypernym(s): happening, occurrence, occurrent, natural_event
2. fire - noun
· the act of firing weapons or artillery at an enemy; "hold your fire until you can see the whites of their eyes"; "they retreated in the face of withering enemy fire"
Hypernym(s): attack, onslaught, onset, onrush
3. fire - noun
· the process of combustion of inflammable materials producing heat and light and (often) smoke; "fire was one of our ancestors' first discoveries"
Synonym(s): flame, flaming
Hypernym(s): combustion, burning
4. fire - noun
· a fireplace in which a relatively small fire is burning; "they sat by the fire and talked"
Hypernym(s): fireplace, hearth, open_fireplace
5. fire - noun
· once thought to be one of four elements composing the universe (Empedocles)
6. fire - noun
· feelings of great warmth and intensity; "he spoke with great ardor"
Synonym(s): ardor, ardour, fervor, fervour, fervency, fervidness
Hypernym(s): passion, passionateness
7. fire - noun
· fuel that is burning and is used as a means for cooking; "put the kettle on the fire"; "barbecue over an open fire"
8. fire - noun
· a severe trial; "he went through fire and damnation"
Hypernym(s): trial, tribulation, visitation
9. fire - noun
· intense adverse criticism; "Clinton directed his fire at the Republican Party"; "the government has come under attack"; "don't give me any flak"
Synonym(s): attack, flak, flack, blast
Hypernym(s): criticism, unfavorable_judgment
10. fire - verb
· start firing a weapon
Hypernym(s): blast, shoot
11. fire - verb
· cause to go off; "fire a gun"; "fire a bullet"
12. fire - verb
· bake in a kiln so as to harden; "fire pottery"
13. fire - verb
· terminate the employment of; discharge from an office or position; "The boss fired his secretary today"; "The company terminated 25% of its workers"
Synonym(s): displace, give_notice, can, dismiss, give_the_axe, send_away, sack, force_out, give_the_sack, terminate
14. fire - verb
· go off or discharge; "The gun fired"
Synonym(s): discharge, go_off
15. fire - verb
· drive out or away by or as if by fire; "The soldiers were fired"; "Surrender fires the cold skepticism"
Hypernym(s): chase_away, drive_out, turn_back, drive_away, dispel, drive_off, run_off
16. fire - verb
· call forth (emotions, feelings, and responses); "arouse pity"; "raise a smile"; "evoke sympathy"
Synonym(s): arouse, elicit, enkindle, kindle, evoke, raise, provoke
Hypernym(s): make, create
17. fire - verb
· destroy by fire; "They burned the house and his diaries"
Synonym(s): burn, burn_down
Hypernym(s): destroy, ruin
18. fire - verb
· provide with fuel; "Oil fires the furnace"
Hypernym(s): supply, provide, render, furnish
19. fire - verb
· generate an electrical impulse; "the neurons fired fast"
20. fire - verb
· become ignited; "The furnace wouldn't fire"
21. fire - verb
· start or maintain a fire in; "fire the furnace"
Synonym(s): light, ignite
or unscramble the word you need to complete that puzzle or to finish that
project or homework!
letters to unscramble the word
synonyms, antonyms and related words
word below with '?' to indicate missing letters
word to find the rhymes
letters of the beginning, middle or end of the word.