Dictionary Results for father|
1. father - noun
· a male parent (also used as a term of address to your father); "his father was born in Atlanta"
Synonym(s): male_parent, begetter
2. father - noun
· the founder of a family; "keep the faith of our forefathers"
Synonym(s): forefather, sire
Hypernym(s): ancestor, ascendant, ascendent, antecedent, root
3. father - noun
· `Father' is a term of address for priests in some churches (especially the Roman Catholic Church or the Orthodox Catholic Church); `Padre' is frequently used in the military
Synonym(s): Father, Padre
Hypernym(s): priest, title, title_of_respect, form_of_address
4. father - noun
· (Christianity) any of about 70 theologians in the period from the 2nd to the 7th century whose writing established and confirmed official church doctrine; in the Roman Catholic Church some were later declared saints and became Doctor of the Church; the best known Latin Church Fathers are Ambrose, Augustine, Gregory the Great, and Jerome; those who wrote in Greek include Athanasius, Basil, Gregory Nazianzen, and John Chrysostom
Synonym(s): Church_Father, Father_of_the_Church, Father
Hypernym(s): theologian, theologist, theologizer, theologiser
5. father - noun
· a person who holds an important or distinguished position in some organization; "the tennis fathers ruled in her favor"; "the city fathers endorsed the proposal"
6. father - noun
· God when considered as the first person in the Trinity; "hear our prayers, Heavenly Father"
Synonym(s): Father, Father-God, Fatherhood
7. father - noun
· a person who founds or establishes some institution; "George Washington is the father of his country"
Synonym(s): founder, beginner, founding_father
Hypernym(s): originator, conceiver, mastermind
8. father - noun
· the head of an organized crime family
Hypernym(s): head, chief, top_dog
9. father - verb
· make (offspring) by reproduction; "Abraham begot Isaac"; "John fathered four daughters"
Synonym(s): beget, get, engender, mother, sire, generate, bring_forth
Hypernym(s): make, create
or unscramble the word you need to complete that puzzle or to finish that
project or homework!
letters to unscramble the word
synonyms, antonyms and related words
word below with '?' to indicate missing letters
word to find the rhymes
letters of the beginning, middle or end of the word.