Dictionary Results for defense|
1. defense - noun
· (military) military action or resources protecting a country against potential enemies; "they died in the defense of Stalingrad"; "they were developed for the defense program"
Synonym(s): defence, defensive_measure
Hypernym(s): military_action, action
2. defense - noun
· protection from harm; "sanitation is the best defense against disease"
3. defense - noun
· (sports) the team that is trying to prevent the other team from scoring; "his teams are always good on defense"
Synonym(s): defence, defending_team
Hypernym(s): team, squad
4. defense - noun
· the justification for some act or belief; "he offered a persuasive defense of the theory"
Synonym(s): defence, vindication
5. defense - noun
· (psychiatry) an unconscious process that tries to reduce the anxiety associated with instinctive desires
Synonym(s): defense_mechanism, defense_reaction, defence_mechanism, defence_reaction, defence
Hypernym(s): psychoanalytic_process, process, unconscious_process
6. defense - noun
· the federal department responsible for safeguarding national security of the United States; created in 1947
Synonym(s): Department_of_Defense, Defense_Department, United_States_Department_of_Defense, Defense, DoD
7. defense - noun
· the defendant and his legal advisors collectively; "the defense called for a mistrial"
Synonym(s): defence, defense_team, defense_lawyers
Hypernym(s): collection, aggregation, accumulation, assemblage
8. defense - noun
· the speech act of answering an attack on your assertions; "his refutation of the charges was short and persuasive"; "in defense he said the other man started it"
Synonym(s): refutation, defence
9. defense - noun
· an organization of defenders that provides resistance against attack; "he joined the defense against invasion"
Synonym(s): defence, defense_force, defence_force
Hypernym(s): organization, organisation
10. defense - noun
· a structure used to defend against attack; "the artillery battered down the defenses"
Synonym(s): defensive_structure, defence
Hypernym(s): structure, construction
11. defense - noun
· a defendant's answer or plea denying the truth of the charges against him; "he gave evidence for the defense"
Synonym(s): defence, denial, demurrer
Hypernym(s): due_process, due_process_of_law
12. defense - noun
· the act of defending someone or something against attack or injury; "a good boxer needs a good defense"; "defense against hurricanes is an urgent problem"
or unscramble the word you need to complete that puzzle or to finish that
project or homework!
letters to unscramble the word
synonyms, antonyms and related words
word below with '?' to indicate missing letters
word to find the rhymes
letters of the beginning, middle or end of the word.