Dictionary Results for alternate|
1. alternate - noun
· someone who takes the place of another person
Synonym(s): surrogate, replacement
Hypernym(s): stand-in, substitute, relief, reliever, backup, backup_man, fill-in
2. alternate - verb
· go back and forth; swing back and forth between two states or conditions
Hypernym(s): change, alter, vary
3. alternate - verb
· exchange people temporarily to fulfill certain jobs and functions
4. alternate - verb
· be an understudy or alternate for a role
Hypernym(s): memorize, memorise, con, learn
5. alternate - verb
· reverse (a direction, attitude, or course of action)
Synonym(s): interchange, tack, switch, flip, flip-flop
Hypernym(s): change_by_reversal, turn, reverse
6. alternate - verb
· do something in turns; "We take turns on the night shift"
Hypernym(s): act, move
7. alternate - adjective
· every second one of a series; "the cleaning lady comes on alternate Wednesdays"; "jam every other day"- the White Queen
8. alternate - adjective
· serving or used in place of another; "an alternative plan"
Synonym(s): alternative, substitute
9. alternate - adjective
· occurring by turns; first one and then the other; "alternating feelings of love and hate"
10. alternate - adjective
· of leaves and branches etc; first on one side and then on the other in two ranks along an axis; not paired; "stems with alternate leaves"
or unscramble the word you need to complete that puzzle or to finish that
project or homework!
letters to unscramble the word
synonyms, antonyms and related words
word below with '?' to indicate missing letters
word to find the rhymes
letters of the beginning, middle or end of the word.