Dictionary Results for advance|
1. advance - noun
· a movement forward; "he listened for the progress of the troops"
Synonym(s): progress, progression
Hypernym(s): change_of_location, travel
2. advance - noun
· a change for the better; progress in development
Synonym(s): improvement, betterment
Hypernym(s): transformation, transmutation, shift
3. advance - noun
· a tentative suggestion designed to elicit the reactions of others; "she rejected his advances"
Synonym(s): overture, approach, feeler
Hypernym(s): suggestion, proposition, proffer
4. advance - noun
· the act of moving forward (as toward a goal)
Synonym(s): progress, progression, procession, advancement, forward_motion, onward_motion
Hypernym(s): motion, movement, move
5. advance - noun
· an amount paid before it is earned
Hypernym(s): sum, sum_of_money, amount, amount_of_money
6. advance - noun
· increase in price or value; "the news caused a general advance on the stock market"
Hypernym(s): increase, step-up
7. advance - verb
· move forward, also in the metaphorical sense; "Time marches on"
Synonym(s): progress, pass_on, move_on, march_on, go_on
Hypernym(s): travel, go, move, locomote
8. advance - verb
· bring forward for consideration or acceptance; "advance an argument"
Hypernym(s): propose, suggest, advise
9. advance - verb
· increase or raise; "boost the voltage in an electrical circuit"
Synonym(s): boost, supercharge
10. advance - verb
· contribute to the progress or growth of; "I am promoting the use of computers in the classroom"
Synonym(s): promote, boost, further, encourage
Hypernym(s): support, back_up
11. advance - verb
· cause to move forward; "Can you move the car seat forward?"
Hypernym(s): move, displace
12. advance - verb
· obtain advantages, such as points, etc.; "The home team was gaining ground"; "After defeating the Knicks, the Blazers pulled ahead of the Lakers in the battle for the number-one playoff berth in the Western Conference"; "win points"
Synonym(s): gain, win, pull_ahead, make_headway, get_ahead, gain_ground
13. advance - verb
· develop in a positive way; "He progressed well in school"; "My plants are coming along"; "Plans are shaping up"
Synonym(s): progress, come_on, come_along, get_on, get_along, shape_up
14. advance - verb
· develop further; "We are advancing technology every day"
Hypernym(s): better, improve, amend, ameliorate, meliorate
15. advance - verb
· give a promotion to or assign to a higher position; "John was kicked upstairs when a replacement was hired"; "Women tend not to advance in the major law firms"; "I got promoted after many years of hard work"
Synonym(s): promote, upgrade, kick_upstairs, raise, elevate
Hypernym(s): delegate, designate, depute, assign
16. advance - verb
· pay in advance; "Can you advance me some money?"
Hypernym(s): lend, loan
17. advance - verb
· move forward; "we have to advance clocks and watches when we travel eastward"
18. advance - verb
· rise in rate or price; "The stock market gained 24 points today"
Hypernym(s): wax, mount, climb, rise
19. advance - adjective
· being ahead of time or need; "gave advance warning"; "was beforehand with her report"
20. advance - adjective
· situated ahead or going before; "an advance party"; "at that time the most advanced outpost was still east of the Rockies"
Synonym(s): advanced, in_advance
or unscramble the word you need to complete that puzzle or to finish that
project or homework!
letters to unscramble the word
synonyms, antonyms and related words
word below with '?' to indicate missing letters
word to find the rhymes
letters of the beginning, middle or end of the word.