Dictionary Results for acting|
1. acting - noun
· the performance of a part or role in a drama
Synonym(s): playing, playacting, performing
Hypernym(s): activity, performing_arts
2. act - verb
· perform an action, or work out or perform (an action); "think before you act"; "We must move quickly"; "The governor should act on the new energy bill"; "The nanny acted quickly by grabbing the toddler and covering him with a wet towel"
3. act - verb
· behave in a certain manner; show a certain behavior; conduct or comport oneself; "You should act like an adult"; "Don't behave like a fool"; "What makes her do this way?"; "The dog acts ferocious, but he is really afraid of people"
Synonym(s): behave, do
4. act - verb
· play a role or part; "Gielgud played Hamlet"; "She wants to act Lady Macbeth, but she is too young for the role"; "She played the servant to her husband's master"
Synonym(s): play, represent
5. act - verb
· discharge one's duties; "She acts as the chair"; "In what capacity are you acting?"
6. act - verb
· pretend to have certain qualities or state of mind; "He acted the idiot"; "She plays deaf when the news are bad"
Synonym(s): play, act_as
Hypernym(s): act, behave, do
7. act - verb
· be suitable for theatrical performance; "This scene acts well"
8. act - verb
· have an effect or outcome; often the one desired or expected; "The voting process doesn't work as well as people thought"; "How does your idea work in practice?"; "This method doesn't work"; "The breaks of my new car act quickly"; "The medicine works only if you take it with a lot of water"
Hypernym(s): succeed, win, come_through, bring_home_the_bacon, deliver_the_goods
9. act - verb
· be engaged in an activity, often for no particular purpose other than pleasure
10. act - verb
· behave unnaturally or affectedly; "She's just acting"
Synonym(s): dissemble, pretend
11. act - verb
· perform on a stage or theater; "She acts in this play"; "He acted in `Julius Caesar'"; "I played in `A Christmas Carol'"
Synonym(s): play, roleplay, playact
12. acting - adjective
· serving temporarily especially as a substitute; "the acting president"
or unscramble the word you need to complete that puzzle or to finish that
project or homework!
letters to unscramble the word
synonyms, antonyms and related words
word below with '?' to indicate missing letters
word to find the rhymes
letters of the beginning, middle or end of the word.