Dictionary Results for swelling|
1. swelling - noun
· an abnormal protuberance or localized enlargement
Synonym(s): puffiness, lump
Hypernym(s): enlargement, symptom
2. swelling - noun
· something that bulges out or is protuberant or projects from its surroundings; "the gun in his pocket made an obvious bulge"; "the hump of a camel"; "he stood on the rocky prominence"; "the occipital protuberance was well developed"; "the bony excrescence between its horns"
Synonym(s): bulge, bump, hump, gibbosity, gibbousness, jut, prominence, protuberance, protrusion, extrusion, excrescence
3. swelling - noun
· the increase in volume of certain substances when they are heated (often accompanied by release of water)
Synonym(s): intumescence, intumescency
Hypernym(s): chemical_process, chemical_change, chemical_action
4. swell - verb
· increase in size, magnitude, number, or intensity; "The music swelled to a crescendo"
5. swell - verb
· become filled with pride, arrogance, or anger; "The mother was swelling with importance when she spoke of her son"
Hypernym(s): act, behave, do
6. swell - verb
· expand abnormally; "The bellies of the starving children are swelling"
Synonym(s): swell_up, intumesce, tumefy, tumesce
7. swell - verb
· come up (as of feelings and thoughts, or other ephemeral things); "Strong emotions welled up"; "Smoke swelled from it"
Hypernym(s): originate, arise, rise, develop, uprise, spring_up, grow
8. swell - verb
· come up, as of a liquid; "Tears well in her eyes"; "the currents well up"
Hypernym(s): surface, come_up, rise_up, rise
9. swell - verb
· cause to become swollen; "The water swells the wood"
or unscramble the word you need to complete that puzzle or to finish that
project or homework!
letters to unscramble the word
synonyms, antonyms and related words
word below with '?' to indicate missing letters
word to find the rhymes
letters of the beginning, middle or end of the word.