Dictionary Results for swell|
1. swell - noun
· the undulating movement of the surface of the open sea
Hypernym(s): wave, moving_ridge
2. swell - noun
· a rounded elevation (especially one on an ocean floor)
Hypernym(s): natural_elevation, elevation
3. swell - noun
· a crescendo followed by a decrescendo
4. swell - noun
· a man who is much concerned with his dress and appearance
Synonym(s): dandy, dude, fop, gallant, sheik, beau, fashion_plate, clotheshorse
Hypernym(s): man, adult_male
5. swell - verb
· increase in size, magnitude, number, or intensity; "The music swelled to a crescendo"
6. swell - verb
· become filled with pride, arrogance, or anger; "The mother was swelling with importance when she spoke of her son"
Hypernym(s): act, behave, do
7. swell - verb
· expand abnormally; "The bellies of the starving children are swelling"
Synonym(s): swell_up, intumesce, tumefy, tumesce
8. swell - verb
· come up (as of feelings and thoughts, or other ephemeral things); "Strong emotions welled up"; "Smoke swelled from it"
Hypernym(s): originate, arise, rise, develop, uprise, spring_up, grow
9. swell - verb
· come up, as of a liquid; "Tears well in her eyes"; "the currents well up"
Hypernym(s): surface, come_up, rise_up, rise
10. swell - verb
· cause to become swollen; "The water swells the wood"
11. swell - adjective
· very good; "he did a bully job"; "a neat sports car"; "had a great time at the party"; "you look simply smashing"; "we had a grand old time"
Synonym(s): bang-up, bully, corking, cracking, dandy, great, groovy, keen, neat, nifty, not_bad, peachy, slap-up, smashing, old
or unscramble the word you need to complete that puzzle or to finish that
project or homework!
letters to unscramble the word
synonyms, antonyms and related words
word below with '?' to indicate missing letters
word to find the rhymes
letters of the beginning, middle or end of the word.