Dictionary Results for straining|
1. straining - noun
· an intense or violent exertion
Hypernym(s): effort, elbow_grease, exertion, travail, sweat
2. straining - noun
· the act of distorting something so it seems to mean something it was not intended to mean
Synonym(s): distortion, overrefinement, torture, twisting
Hypernym(s): falsification, misrepresentation
3. strain - verb
· to exert much effort or energy; "straining our ears to hear"
Synonym(s): strive, reach
Hypernym(s): tug, labor, labour, push, drive
4. strain - verb
· test the limits of; "You are trying my patience!"
Synonym(s): try, stress
5. strain - verb
· use to the utmost; exert vigorously or to full capacity; "He really extended himself when he climbed Kilimanjaro"; "Don't strain your mind too much"
Hypernym(s): use, utilize, utilise, apply, employ
6. strain - verb
· separate by passing through a sieve or other straining device to separate out coarser elements; "sift the flour"
Synonym(s): sift, sieve
7. strain - verb
· cause to be tense and uneasy or nervous or anxious; "he got a phone call from his lawyer that tensed him up"
Synonym(s): tense, tense_up
8. strain - verb
· become stretched or tense or taut; "the bodybuilder's neck muscles tensed"; "the rope strained when the weight was attached"
9. strain - verb
· remove by passing through a filter; "filter out the impurities"
Synonym(s): filter, filtrate, separate_out, filter_out
10. strain - verb
· rub through a strainer or process in an electric blender; "puree the vegetables for the baby"
11. strain - verb
· alter the shape of (something) by stress; "His body was deformed by leprosy"
Synonym(s): deform, distort
Hypernym(s): shape, form
12. straining - adjective
· taxing to the utmost; testing powers of endurance; "his final, straining burst of speed"; "a strenuous task"; "your willingness after these six arduous days to remain here"- F.D.Roosevelt
Synonym(s): arduous, strenuous
or unscramble the word you need to complete that puzzle or to finish that
project or homework!
letters to unscramble the word
synonyms, antonyms and related words
word below with '?' to indicate missing letters
word to find the rhymes
letters of the beginning, middle or end of the word.