Dictionary Results for smell|
1. smell - noun
· the sensation that results when olfactory receptors in the nose are stimulated by particular chemicals in gaseous form; "she loved the smell of roses"
Synonym(s): odor, odour, olfactory_sensation, olfactory_perception
Hypernym(s): sensation, esthesis, aesthesis, sense_experience, sense_impression, sense_datum
2. smell - noun
· any property detected by the olfactory system
Synonym(s): olfactory_property, aroma, odor, odour, scent
3. smell - noun
· the general atmosphere of a place or situation and the effect that it has on people; "the feel of the city excited him"; "a clergyman improved the tone of the meeting"; "it had the smell of treason"
Synonym(s): spirit, tone, feel, feeling, flavor, flavour, look
Hypernym(s): atmosphere, ambiance, ambience
4. smell - noun
· the faculty that enables us to distinguish scents
Synonym(s): sense_of_smell, olfaction, olfactory_modality
Hypernym(s): modality, sense_modality, sensory_system, exteroception
5. smell - noun
· the act of perceiving the odor of something
Hypernym(s): sensing, perception
6. smell - verb
· inhale the odor of; perceive by the olfactory sense
Hypernym(s): perceive, comprehend
7. smell - verb
· emit an odor; "The soup smells good"
8. smell - verb
· smell bad; "He rarely washes, and he smells"
9. smell - verb
· have an element suggestive (of something); "his speeches smacked of racism"; "this passage smells of plagiarism"
Synonym(s): smack, reek
Hypernym(s): suggest, evoke, paint_a_picture
10. smell - verb
· become aware of not through the senses but instinctively; "I sense his hostility"; "I smell trouble"; "smell out corruption"
Synonym(s): smell_out, sense
or unscramble the word you need to complete that puzzle or to finish that
project or homework!
letters to unscramble the word
synonyms, antonyms and related words
word below with '?' to indicate missing letters
word to find the rhymes
letters of the beginning, middle or end of the word.