Dictionary Results for gloss|
1. gloss - noun
· an explanation or definition of an obscure word in a text
Hypernym(s): explanation, account
2. gloss - noun
· an alphabetical list of technical terms in some specialized field of knowledge; usually published as an appendix to a text on that field
3. gloss - noun
· the property of being smooth and shiny
Synonym(s): polish, glossiness, burnish
Hypernym(s): radiance, radiancy, shine, effulgence, refulgence, refulgency, smoothness
4. gloss - noun
· an outward or token appearance or form that is deliberately misleading; "he hoped his claims would have a semblance of authenticity"; "he tried to give his falsehood the gloss of moral sanction"; "the situation soon took on a different color"
Synonym(s): semblance, color, colour
Hypernym(s): appearance, visual_aspect
5. gloss - verb
· give a shine or gloss to, usually by rubbing
Hypernym(s): polish, smooth, smoothen, shine
6. gloss - verb
· provide interlinear explanations for words or phrases; "He annotated on what his teacher had written"
Synonym(s): comment, annotate
Hypernym(s): rede, interpret
7. gloss - verb
· provide an interlinear translation of a word or phrase
Hypernym(s): translate, interpret, render
8. gloss - verb
· give a deceptive explanation or excuse for; "color a lie"
Synonym(s): color, colour
Hypernym(s): apologize, apologise, excuse, rationalize, rationalise
or unscramble the word you need to complete that puzzle or to finish that
project or homework!
letters to unscramble the word
synonyms, antonyms and related words
word below with '?' to indicate missing letters
word to find the rhymes
letters of the beginning, middle or end of the word.