Dictionary Results for flood|
1. flood - noun
· the rising of a body of water and its overflowing onto normally dry land; "plains fertilized by annual inundations"
Synonym(s): inundation, deluge, alluvion
2. flood - noun
· an overwhelming number or amount; "a flood of requests"; "a torrent of abuse"
Synonym(s): inundation, deluge, torrent
Hypernym(s): batch, deal, flock, good_deal, great_deal, hatful, heap, lot, mass, mess, mickle, mint, mountain, muckle, passel, peck, pile, plenty, pot, quite_a_little, raft, sight, slew, spate, stack, tidy_sum, wad
3. flood - noun
· light that is a source of artificial illumination having a broad beam; used in photography
Synonym(s): floodlight, flood_lamp, photoflood
Hypernym(s): light, light_source
4. flood - noun
· a large flow
Synonym(s): overflow, outpouring
Hypernym(s): flow, stream
5. flood - noun
· the act of flooding; filling to overflowing
6. flood - noun
· the occurrence of incoming water (between a low tide and the following high tide); "a tide in the affairs of men which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune" -Shakespeare
Synonym(s): flood_tide, rising_tide
7. flood - verb
· fill quickly beyond capacity; as with a liquid; "the basement was inundated after the storm"; "The images flooded his mind"
Synonym(s): deluge, inundate, swamp
Hypernym(s): fill, fill_up, make_full
8. flood - verb
· cover with liquid, usually water; "The swollen river flooded the village"; "The broken vein had flooded blood in her eyes"
Hypernym(s): cover, spread_over
9. flood - verb
· supply with an excess of; "flood the market with tennis shoes"; "Glut the country with cheap imports from the Orient"
Synonym(s): oversupply, glut
Hypernym(s): supply, provide, render, furnish
10. flood - verb
· become filled to overflowing; "Our basement flooded during the heavy rains"
Hypernym(s): fill, fill_up
or unscramble the word you need to complete that puzzle or to finish that
project or homework!
letters to unscramble the word
synonyms, antonyms and related words
word below with '?' to indicate missing letters
word to find the rhymes
letters of the beginning, middle or end of the word.