Dictionary Results for double|
1. double - noun
· a base hit on which the batter stops safely at second base; "he hit a double to deep centerfield"
Synonym(s): two-base_hit, two-bagger, two-baser
Hypernym(s): base_hit, safety
2. double - noun
· a stand-in for movie stars to perform dangerous stunts; "his first job in Hollywood was as a double for Clark Gable"
Synonym(s): stunt_man, stunt_woman
Hypernym(s): stand-in, substitute, relief, reliever, backup, backup_man, fill-in
3. double - noun
· someone who closely resembles a famous person (especially an actor); "he could be Gingrich's double"; "she's the very image of her mother"
Synonym(s): image, look-alike
Hypernym(s): person, individual, someone, somebody, mortal, soul
4. double - noun
· a quantity that is twice as great as another; "36 is the double of 18"
5. double - noun
· raising the stakes in a card game by a factor of 2; "I decided his double was a bluff"
6. double - verb
· increase twofold; "The population doubled within 50 years"
Hypernym(s): multiply, manifold
7. double - verb
· hit a two-base hit
8. double - verb
· bend over or curl up, usually with laughter or pain; "He doubled and vomited violently"
Synonym(s): double_over, double_up
Hypernym(s): bend, flex
9. double - verb
· do double duty; serve two purposes or have two functions; "She doubles as his wife and secretary"
Hypernym(s): function, work, operate, go, run
10. double - verb
· bridge: make a demand for (a card or suit)
Hypernym(s): bid, call
11. double - verb
· make or do or perform again; "He could never replicate his brilliant performance of the magic trick"
Synonym(s): duplicate, reduplicate, repeat, replicate
12. double - adjective
· having more than one decidedly dissimilar aspects or qualities; "a double (or dual) role for an actor"; "the office of a clergyman is twofold; public preaching and private influence"- R.W.Emerson; "every episode has its double and treble meaning"-Frederick Harrison
Synonym(s): dual, twofold, two-fold, treble, threefold, three-fold
13. double - adjective
· consisting of or involving two parts or components usually in pairs; "an egg with a double yolk"; "a double (binary) star"; "double doors"; "dual controls for pilot and copilot"; "duple (or double) time consists of two (or a multiple of two) beats to a measure"
Synonym(s): dual, duple
14. double - adjective
· twice as great or many; "ate a double portion"; "the dose is doubled"; "a twofold increase"
Synonym(s): doubled, twofold, two-fold
15. double - adjective
· used of flowers having more than the usual number of petals in crowded or overlapping arrangements; "double chrysanthemums have many rows of petals and are usually spherical or hemispherical"
16. double - adjective
· used of homologous chromosomes associated in pairs in synapsis
17. double - adjective
· large enough for two; "a double bed"; "a double room"
18. double - adjective
· having two meanings with intent to deceive; "a sly double meaning"; "spoke with forked tongue"
19. double - adverb
· downward and forward; "he was bent double with pain"
20. double - adverb
· two together; "some people sleep better double"
21. double - adverb
· to double the degree; "she was doubly rewarded"; "his eyes were double bright"
Synonym(s): doubly, twice
or unscramble the word you need to complete that puzzle or to finish that
project or homework!
letters to unscramble the word
synonyms, antonyms and related words
word below with '?' to indicate missing letters
word to find the rhymes
letters of the beginning, middle or end of the word.